Software Development Engineer – Java
ESO is a rapidly growing technology company passionate about improving community health and safety through the power of data. We provide software applications, interoperability and data management solutions to emergency medical services, fire departments and hospitals.
We’re small enough to be nimble and fun, but big enough to be a great, stable place to work. We serve more than 10,000 customers out of our US offices (Austin, Dallas, and Des Moines) and our Belfast, Northern Ireland office.
About the role
As a member of ESO’s development team, you will be collaborating with our highly talented development engineers and designers to build the next generation of ESO’s SaaS and mobile products. Our development engineers are passionate about their craft and revel in shipping software that improves patient care and community safety. If you are ready to write elegant and innovative code that will effect real change, this is the job for you.
As a Java development engineer, we encourage you to think creatively in order to fully utilize the rich ecosystem of languages, tools, libraries, and frameworks that run atop of the JVM. You will participate in regular design sessions and code reviews and can expect to contribute solutions to a myriad of platform capabilities at ESO including application development, microservice architectures, and complex event processing systems.
Our development engineers lead by championing a culture of personal ownership and customer-focused execution. We love those who pride themselves not only on excellent code but excellent end-user experiences as well.
We are an Agile development shop and regularly demo our work to project stakeholders. To support this methodology, we practice continuous integration, embrace open source software, and empower our development engineers to make informed technology and product decisions.
More about you
You like challenges. If you wake up in the middle of the night with the next great idea and can’t go back to sleep until you get a chance to write it down, you’ll fit in with us. If you get frustrated working in inefficient, top-heavy companies and want to be somewhere you can truly make a difference, we might be a good fit. We are building the company we want to work for every day and we encourage everyone to take part in continually shaping the new ESO. Ideas trump job titles.
You love small teams. You’d rather be on a team with 100 “A” players than 1000 corporate drones. Accountability is a term you are familiar with. The only thing that should CYA at ESO is a pair of jeans. You love working in a team, but also are capable of cranking out a ton of work independently.
You believe in our customers. We use our national user conference, regional user groups, and steering committees to get ESOers in front of our customers. You enjoy getting first-hand feedback from customers and knowing how your work impacts them directly. You can’t make a difference at ESO if you don’t understand our customer.
Some of the things required to be successful in the role:
- Two plus years’ experience in software engineering including knowledge of SOLID DRY SRP and other software engineering best practices
- Your experience should include;
- building distributed systems and microservice architectures using Java and/or Scala
- streaming/complex event processing technologies (Kafka, Spark, etc.)
- unit testing and mocking frameworks
- Git or other distributed version control systems
- Linux and open source software development
- at least two of the following; XML, XSLT, SOAP, REST API and web services
- You should also have;
- Knowledge of OO concepts, design patterns and functional programming
- Proficiency in SQL and relational database concepts
- Exposure to Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment practices
- Knowledge of Linux system administration
- A passion for what you do and understanding how your work impacts ESO’s success
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
It’s a plus if you have experience of any or all of the following;
- Cloud Computing (Azure, AWS, etc.)
- Healthcare Technology