How You’ll Support Our Mission
The ESO Platform delivers state-of-the-art capabilities for emergency services, enabling first responders to be better prepared and better able to carry out their life-saving work. Crucially, we bring together data from all our different applications to enable new insights and cutting-edge research with the potential to improve outcomes on a global scale.
The Platform Engineering team is where we tackle many of our hardest engineering challenges. From connecting our applications together, to keeping our platform secure, to designing ways to expand our use of cloud-native, PAAS technologies as we grow and scale globally, the team is innovating and solving new challenges that are crucial to the growth of our mission.
Based in Belfast, the Platform Engineering team is truly cross-functional, including DevOps and Data Engineering expertise as well as application engineering. Platform is vital across the organisation, providing shared data and functional services which glue our suite of applications together, so expect lots of interesting conversations with other teams. We also set an example of good practice and mentorship in areas such as automated testing, continuous deployment, infrastructure-as-code, change management and more.
If you are curious to learn, have a passion to do great engineering and want to put that to work in pursuit of something that matters, then come and join us!
What You’ll Be Doing – the day to day
You can expect to work across the whole stack from front-end SPAs, through back-end services, containers, serverless, devops, SQL, noSQL to name but a few. We value competency, tenacity and problem-solving, and you’ll find plenty of opportunities to learn new skills and technologies, or even introduce your own best practices into your new team.
Our current stack: C#, .NET Core, Angular, Typescript; Azure DevOps, Terraform, Azure PAAS / Serverless; EF Core, SQL Server, Cosmos, Redis; BDD, NUnit, Cypress, Sonar; Application Insights, New Relic. This is what you can expect to work with, but we are always open to using other technologies where they add value!
Our development engineers lead by championing a culture of personal ownership and customer-focused execution. We love those who pride themselves in how they contribute through excellent solutions and end-user experiences, as much as clean and clear code.
We are an Agile development shop and interact regularly with project stakeholders, including demos from each sprint. To support this methodology, we use regular retrospectives and objective measurement to drive continuous improvement and empower our developers to make informed technology and implementation decisions. As part of the development process, you will be involved in design sessions, and you’ll have the opportunity to learn and teach through peer review of code and of completed solutions.
Who You Are - some of the essential things required to be successful in the role:
- Five plus years’ experience in software engineering and software design and architecture principles.
- Problem-solving and analytic thinking skills.
- Experience programming in C# .NET, or another similar language such as Java.
- CI, unit testing and mocking frameworks (e.g. NUnit / Moq / NSubstitute).
- A demonstrated ability to help drive the technical direction of features through analysis of requirements and peer discussions.
Who You Are – it’s desirable if you have any of the following:
Experience of some of the following technologies, and a passion to learn and grow across many of the remainder:
- Logging, monitoring and alerting frameworks (e.g. Serilog, Application Insights, New Relic.
- Typescript and UI development in Angular.
- Git for source control, branching and merging (e.g. gitflow).
- OO concepts, design patterns, modern .NET web frameworks.
- SQL and relational database concepts.
- Serverless, PAAS and containerized cloud applications.
- Messaging and eventing technologies, (e.g. Azure Service Bus, MQ).
Benefits & Perks:
- Life insurance
- Income protection insurance
- A generous pension contribution
- Private medical insurance including optical and dental
- A health cash plan
- Annual health and wellness allowance + cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced paternity leave and pay, enhanced adoptive pay, enhanced maternity pay
- Enhanced short and long term sick pay,
- Great holiday entitlement
ESO is a fast-paced, growing data, technology and research company passionate about improving community health and safety through the power of data. We pioneer innovative, user-friendly software to meet the changing needs of today’s EMS agencies, fire departments, and hospitals. We’re small enough to be nimble and fun, but big enough to be a great place to work. We serve thousands of customers out of our six US offices and our Belfast, Northern Ireland office.
Are you ready to Make a Difference?
ESO is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We invite you to consider opportunities at ESO regardless of your gender; gender identity; gender reassignment; age; religious or similar philosophical belief; race; national origin; political opinion; sexual orientation; disability; marital or civil partnership status, or other non-merit factor.