How You’ll Support Our Mission
Development Managers at ESO are creative technologists who lead by example, setting the pace and tone for building a culture of high performing teams. The right candidate for this role comes from a software development background and has experience hiring, mentoring, and managing technical execution using agile methodologies. As a member of engineering leadership, you will collaborate frequently with designers, product managers and business stakeholders throughout the organization to deliver compelling products that integrate with ESO’s healthcare and public safety SaaS suite.
ESO is committed to creating accessible software that serves all our users, regardless of situation, technology, or ability. We are actively working to increase the accessibility and usability of all our products. We are always looking for individuals who are passionate about creating software that is inclusive and solves all our user’s needs by ensuring it meets W3C available standards and guidelines.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Engineering you will be part of our Engineering team based in our Halifax, NS office.
What You’ll Be Doing - the day to day
You will be responsible for the technical leadership of some of the most committed and brightest developers at ESO. You will provide direction and oversight through all phases of the product release cycle (design, development, and quality assurance), aligning development objectives with product milestones and ultimately, customer satisfaction. You can expect to:
- Participate in product release estimation and planning.
- Identify and escalate potential concerns related to project initiatives and recommend viable solutions.
- Review peer code and conduct design reviews.
- Coach and mentor developers at both a technical and a professional level.
- Curate and publish unit and integration testing metrics.
- Coordinate quality assurance plans for all projects.
- Create and execute structured application deployment plans.
- Evaluate new technologies and provide recommendations.
- Recruit and retain “A” players.
- Read and write code.
Who You Are - the essentials (Some of the things required to be successful in the role):
- 2-3+ years managing a software development team
- Experience with agile development methodologies (Scrum / Kanban)
- Thorough technical knowledge of the .NET Framework, CLR and C# (5+ years experience)
- Expert level knowledge of OO concepts and design patterns (GoF, IoC, Asynchronous Programming Model, SOLID, DDD, etc)
- Strong knowledge of Relational Databases preferably MS SQL
- Experience with popular unit testing and mocking frameworks
- Experience evaluating third-party libraries/frameworks
- Knowledge of functional programming paradigms, not specifically limited to .NET
- Strong knowledge of modern .NET web frameworks (ASP.NET MVC, WebAPI, ServiceStack)
- Knowledge of XML, SOAP and RESTful web services
- Experience building loosely coupled applications using Service Bus and related messaging patterns
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment
- Prior usage of Git or another distributed source code management system
Who You Are - the desirables (It’s a plus if you have):
- Experience with Microsoft Azure PaaS technologies
- Experience using NoSQL databases