Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
ESO is a rapidly growing technology company passionate about improving community health and safety through the power of data. We provide software applications, interoperability and data management solutions to emergency medical services, fire departments and hospitals.
We’re small enough to be nimble and fun, but big enough to be a great, stable place to work. We serve more than 10,000 customers out of our US offices (Austin, Dallas, and Des Moines) and our Belfast, Northern Ireland office.
About the role
We are seeking a creative, mission-driven Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to help scale our suite of cloud-based SaaS products. This role requires a seasoned architect who can devise and communicate technical strategies that support our product, data and interoperability initiatives. As the executive owner of our technical vision and roadmap, you will be expected to set a high bar for execution and pace-setting across our geographically distributed engineering teams. You will directly manage an interdisciplinary team of high performing engineers who will conduct technology POCs and translate that work into platform recipes that influence microservice architectures utilized broadly across ESO’s systems. Data is the lifeblood of our business and we expect the CTO to play a hands-on role in the productization of our healthcare and public safety datasets that are consumed both internally and externally. This will require a strong background in contemporary analytics, machine learning and data science practices.
ESO is fortunate to be experiencing an inflection point in its history, transitioning firmly into a scale-up business with established products that are adding customers rapidly. Strategic acquisitions have influenced growth as well. To scale our cloud infrastructure responsibly, you will be expected to manage and forecast technology budgets that calibrate for organic and inorganic growth, with critical technology investments presented to executive leadership when identified. Evaluating M&A targets for technical fitness will be a responsibility of this position as well, with integration planning conducted for newly acquired customers and products. You will develop data governance policies and procedures nationally and internationally, and work closely with various departments to collect, secure, prepare, organize, protect, audit and analyze our infrastructure and data assets.
Most importantly, the right candidate for this role will attract, mentor and inspire dedicated engineers that make ESO’s software a compelling experience for our customers. The CTO is equal parts evangelist and architect, publicly representing the synergy between ESO’s values, mission and technology. This role will require time dedicated to speaking engagements and internal presentations that challenge, educate and cultivate a culture of continuous improvement, pride and ownership.
More about you
You are a strong team player who can deftly navigate between big picture thinking and low-level technical details. Additionally, you have a track record of building high performance teams that can operate autonomously, supported by an architecture that mirrors this agility. You are a quick learner who can synthesize the needs of our market and industry with tactical and strategic bets on technologies that accelerate and improve our product delivery.
In this position you will be reporting to the CEO and collaborating regularly with our COO and extended leadership teams.
Responsibilities will include:
- Engineering Leadership
- Setting and leading the technological vision and architecture for the company
- Making executive decisions on behalf of the company’s technical requirements
- Designing and implementing cross-product APIs that simplify solution delivery
- Developing a high performing and accountable engineering culture to meet and exceed ambitious performance targets
- Assessing and auditing current technology investments for potential improvement and operational efficiencies
- Developing a strong relationship between product and data engineering teams to power research that unlocks insights resident in disparate datasets
- Setting and maintaining sector leading SLAs, reliability metrics and governance strategies
- Keeping ESO ahead of emerging technology trends and developments that foster thought leadership and evangelism within our industry
- Operational stewardship
- Selecting and implementing technological resources to meet the company’s short and long-term needs
- Directing infrastructure needs for scalability and aggressive growth
- Managing technology budgets and timeframes
- Ensuring all technology practices adhere to regulatory standards
- Overseeing the collection, storage, management, quality and protection of data
- Eminence and Influence
- Attracting and retaining A+ talent
- Effectively communicating the status, value, and importance of data assets across the company
- Leading, motivating, and managing large technical teams
- Acting as a mentor and coach to team members
Some of the things required to be successful in the role:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- 8+ years working in a technological leadership role
- 6+ years progressive managerial experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in architecting domain-specific microservices in high availability systems
- Experience with applied big data technologies, machine learning and AI in a cloud environment
- Exceptional team-building skills, with proven success leading groups of engineers and data scientists
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Ability to delegate and manage competing deadlines efficiently
- Examples of developing and refining processes, tools and teams to support software systems at scale