Development Manager – Belfast
ESO is a rapidly growing technology company passionate about improving community health and safety through the power of data. We provide software applications, interoperability and data management solutions to emergency medical services, fire departments and hospitals.
We’re small enough to be nimble and fun, but big enough to be a great, stable place to work. We serve more than 10,000 customers out of our US offices in Colorado, Iowa, Maryland and Texas and our Belfast, Northern Ireland office.
About the role
Development Managers at ESO are creative technologists who lead by example, setting the pace and tone for building a culture of high performing teams. The right candidate for this role comes from a software development background and has experience hiring, mentoring and managing technical execution using agile methodologies. As a member of engineering leadership, you will collaborate frequently with designers, product managers and business stakeholders throughout the organization to deliver compelling products that integrate with ESO’s healthcare and public safety SaaS suite.
You will be responsible for the technical leadership of some of the most committed and brightest development engineers at ESO. These individuals have dedicated many non-mythical man-months to the flagship products driving our company’s stellar growth.
You will provide direction and oversight through all phases of the product release cycle (design, development and quality assurance), aligning development objectives with product milestones and ultimately, customer satisfaction. You can expect to:
- Participate in product release estimation and planning
- Identify and escalate potential concerns related to project initiatives and recommend viable solutions
- Review peer code and conduct design reviews
- Coach and mentor development engineers at both a technical and a professional level
- Curate and publish unit and integration testing metrics
- Coordinate quality assurance plans for all projects
- Create and execute structured application deployment plans
- Evaluate new technologies and provide recommendations
- Recruit and retain “A” players
- Read and write code
More about you
You like challenges. If you wake up in the middle of the night with the next great idea and can’t go back to sleep until you get a chance to write it down, you’ll fit in with us. If you get frustrated working in inefficient, top-heavy companies and want to be somewhere you can truly make a difference, we might be a good fit. We are building the company we want to work for every day, and we encourage everyone to take part in continually shaping the new ESO. Ideas trump job titles.
You love small teams. You’d rather be on a team with 100 “A” players than 1000 corporate drones. Accountability is a term you are familiar with. The only thing that should CYA at ESO is a pair of jeans. You love working in a team, but also are capable of cranking out a ton of work independently.
You believe in our customers. We use our national user conference, regional user groups and steering committees to get ESOers in front of our customers. You enjoy getting first-hand feedback from customers and knowing how your work impacts them directly. You can’t make a difference at ESO if you don’t understand our customer.
Some of the things required to be successful in the role:
- At least 5 years leading and managing a software development team
- with agile development methodologies (Scrum / Kanban)
- with popular unit testing and mocking frameworks
- building loosely coupled applications using microservices and integration patterns
- evaluating third-party libraries/frameworks
- with PaaS and IaaS cloud technologies (Azure/AWS)
- Expert level knowledge of OOP concepts and architectural patterns (Inversion of Control, Domain Driven Design, MVC, etc.)
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
It’s a plus if you have experience of:
- Working in healthcare or with healthcare technology
- Working in a product-based company
Location: this role will be based in our Belfast city center office.
Travel requirements: we like to give our NI based employees the opportunity to get to know our US colleagues and build valuable working relationships while soaking up both company and product information and understanding. Candidates should be aware that a week-long trip to our head office in Austin, Texas will be part of the onboarding process.
We do not anticipate regular travel to be part of this role.
“We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their sex; religious or similar philosophical belief; political opinion; race; age; sexual orientation; or, whether they are married or are in a civil partnership; or, whether they are disabled; or whether they have undergone, are undergoing or intend to undergo gender reassignment.”